November 2 and 9, 2014
Today was my first couple days volunteering at the Islamic Sunday school at the Ann Arbor Mosque. I helped kindergarten age students learn and recite arabic and the Qur'an. I also watched the class and helped with curriculum. This activity is Service, because I am volunteering my time to teach younger kids about religion and language. The Learning objectives advanced were 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7. I undertook new challenges by trying to attain a teaching position with the kids. I worked collaboratively with teachers to cooperate and run the class smoothly. I will show perseverance and commitment by consistently devoting my time to the class. I engaged with issues of global importance by educating about language and religion. I considered ethical religious implications and will help the student do the same. Through this activity, I hope to be able to help young children learn about Islam and Arabic, and connect with them. Today, I was successful in achieving my goals by being very gentle and kind to encourage the kids to have fun and love their religion. One difficulty I encountered was a kid who didn't want to be there. She was basically crying her eyes out, and I overcame this difficulty by calming her down until her mother came, which was a big help to the teacher. Through this activity, I learned how to interact with adults and teachers in a professional manner. I learned that others are very eager to learn. The head teacher helped me think about my learning by asking me to work with kids and asking me my opinions. This activity benefits others by providing an opportunity for kids to learn. The service project identified the social issue of religious education by helping young kids learn Arabic and religion in order for them to grow up on this good mentality. Next time to improve, I would be more outgoing with the kids and their parents in order to make them feel more welcome. I can apply what I learned in other life situations by using the new social skills and patience I learned in working with kids with my own family and people around me.
November 16 and 23, 2014
These past two days, my goals were to get to know the kids better and to have them know me better. I was very successful in accomplishing my goals. I had conversations with the kids and listened to the recitation. I helped them with their assignments and got them the supplies they needed. I learned more about the kids and their families, and got to know the teachers better. Next time to improve, I would like to work on being a better teacher towards the kids and a more valuable assistance to the teacher.
December 21, 2014 and January 11, 2015
Today, my goals were to help the kids learn more and to help more with the teacher. I was successful in achieving my goals. I helped the kids by correcting their errors in a positive way and taught them more about how to remember their letters. I also helped the teacher by creating homework packets and collecting the kid's homework. Next time to improve, I'd like to be more and more helpful to the class room environment.
January 18, 25, and February 1, 2015
These past days, my goals were to be a big help around the classroom. I achieved these goals by checking the kids homework, correcting their recitation and helping the teacher search for and create homework packets. I was a positive influence on the students. Next time to improve, I hope to further help the kids love the school. I can apply what I learned doing this activity to real life by using the new social skills and patience I learned in working with kids with my own family and people around me.
Total Hours: 13.5
No comments:
Post a Comment